Moong dal 3/4 cup
Jaggery 1 cup
milk 1 cup
water 1 1/2 cup
Coconut (grated) 1/4 cup
cardomom – 1/4 tsp
ghee – 2 tbsp
cashews/dry raisins – as required
Saffron – 3 strands (optional)
1) Pressure cook the moong dal and keep aside.
2) Meanwhile in a deep pan, boil some water and add jaggery and allow it to melt. (Keep stirring)
3) Add moong dal to the pan and stir continously to avoid lumps. (Keep in Low flame)
4) Add grated coconut and stir continously.
5) Add milk and stir for sometime. Then add cardomom.
6) Fry cashews and raisins separatly in a pan with ghee. Add them to the payasam.
7) Add saffron (optional)